Do you have white patches on your tongue? Well, this is more common in people than you think.
These coatings are known by the name papillae. The tongue gets irritated and traps the food scraps, dead cells, and bacteria between them.
These white patches are harmless, but one thing is certain they look disgusting. Moreover, they lead to bitter taste in the mouth and bad breath.
- Oral thrush – candida yeast infection
- Dry mouth
- Regular drinking and smoking
- Reaction to certain medications such as antibiotics and steroids
- Bad oral hygiene
- Eating a lot of spicy and soft food
- Bacterial infection
- Congenital heart disease
How to Prevent These White Patches
- Drink a lot of water to prevent dehydration
- Avoid dairy products and sugary food and drinks
- Use a toothbrush or a tongue cleaner to scrap the patches
- Consume more veggies and fruits, since crunchy and rich fiber foods can help eliminate these white patches
- Brush your teeth at least twice on a daily basis
How to Treat White Patches at Home
There are two simple remedies which can help you to eliminate white patches.
1 Ingredient Remedies
This is the cheapest and easiest method when it comes to eliminating white patches. The salt can help you remove the bacteria and toxins inside your mouth. The salt has antiseptic nature and is ideal in terms of controlling all issues related to your oral health.
How to Do It
First, in a glass of warm water, you need to add one tsp. of salt and mix. You need to stir until the salt dissolves. Take the obtained mixture, wash your mouth with it and gargle for at least 60 seconds.
You will need to do this once for 3-4 days in order to notice results. However, if you add salt directly on your toothbrush, you will notice results right away.
2. Vegetable Glycerin
Vegetable glycerin draws moisture and serves as a humectant that soothes the tongue and eliminates bad breath and white patches.
How to Do It
Put glycerin on your toothbrush and brush the tongue from 1 minute. Spit it and wash your mouth. You will need to do this seven days at least twice on a daily basis in order to notice results.
These simple methods can help you prevent and eliminate white patches. And the best thing is that you won’t have to worry about your bad breath ever again.